Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Wrist pain, toe pain, need to take EMG to confirm carpal tunnel, taking Prednisone and Ibuprofen. Using wrist braces

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions

I went to the doctor today about my hands/wrist and big toe pain. The toe pain started three days ago, it felt like a nerve problem but it didn't get numb. The doctor thinks it is carpal tunnel symptoms but I need to take an EMG test first to confirm the results. The doctor thinks that I should go back to work immediately. I am having troubles driving, typing, and writing. It doubled the pain. Personally, I think the doctor is wrong but I wanted your opinion on this issue. I am currently taking medication called Prednisone 20MG Tablets Daily and Ibuprofen 800 mg just started today but I have been taking Naproxen for two weeks now and I still have the pain. I also been using wrist braces. I have been off from work about two weeks now. The doctor wouldn't give me a note to get time off because she thinks I should go back to work. Please help me out, Thank you!

PS: I am a data entry operator. I have to be fast and 8 hours job MON-FRI. I cannot slow down, because I am taking license plates since I work with the tollway.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for these symptoms.

Two possibilities need to be ruled out from your symptoms. These include:

1)     Gout: In gout, uric acid crystals deposits in the joints causing swelling, pain and tenderness. Big toe is commonly affected. Please consult an orthopedician and get your blood uric acid levels and an x-ray of the toe joints done.

2)     Rheumatoid arthritis: The specific tests for Rheumatoid arthritis are rheumatoid factor and anti-CCP antibodies

A lack of vitamin D3 can also cause severe bone pain, especially at the joints where the muscles connect to the bones. You should get your vitamin D levels checked and if decreased levels are found then you should get vitamin D supplements prescribed from your doctor.

You should consult an orthopedician and get these possibilities evaluated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor