Would yeast infection cause an abnormal pap result?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: would a yeast infection cause an abnormal pap result? What should next step be? all previous pap test normal.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes an infection can cause a abnormal pap test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Pap smear is a test used to screen for abnormal cells on the cervix or even in the vagina.
An abnormal pap test doesn't mean you have cancer ,it just mean that there are abnormal cells in your cervix .It might be an infection,inflammation, causing this.

Abnormal pap smears can occur for different reasons.Most common causes are:

-Vaginal Yeast Infection
-Bacterial Infection of the Vagina
-Sexually Transmitted Infections (Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Trichomonas)
-Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
-Cancer (Uterine, Cervical, Vaginal)

Further testing should be done to verify whether or not there is a problem.
-Test for HPV
-Test for all vaginal infections : yeast infection,STD
-Repeat pap smear after 3-6 months.
-Colposcopy if needed

I suggest to consult a Gynecologist and discuss all possibilities for your abnormal pap test.

If you have yeast vaginal infection the doctor can prescribe you a treatment for you.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any additional question or doubt to clarify .I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati

Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 26 hours later
pap smear was abnormal and hpv test positive. had colposcopy and biopsy . What is possibility of cervical cancer. Last pap test normal 2 years prior.
Brief Answer:
It depends on colposcopy and biopsy results.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!
Hope you are doing well!

An abnormal pap test result means that cell changes were found on your cervix. This usually does not mean that you have cervical cancer.
Abnormal changes on your cervix are likely caused by HPV, which is a virus that can cause changes on a woman’s cervix that can lead to cervical cancer over time.

So an abnormal pap test and positive HPV test means that there are some abnormal cells in your cervix (cells with some changes) and this is caused by HPV infection.
These abnormal cells over time may be transformed to cancerous cells (cervical cancer).
So in your case the possibility of cervical cancer will depend on the results of colposcopy and biopsy ,and the treatment strategy.

Biopsy results may be : normal or cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN).
A normal result means there is no cancer and no abnormal changes were seen.

Abnormal biopsy results may be due to changes that can lead to cervical cancer. These changes are called dysplasia, or cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN).
CIN is a premalignant condition of the uterine cervix .

CIN may be low grade or high grade.
If your cervical biopsy will result with low-grade CIN (CIN 1 ) you have a low potential for developing cervical malignancy . CIN 1 will return to normal without any treatment at all
High grade CIN (CIN 2 ,3 ) indicates a high risk of progression to malignancy and they need treatment which consist in removing these abnormal cells from cervix to prevent cervical cancer.

So you have to wait the biopsy results to know more (I assumed you haven't got it yet).

Hope it helped.
Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 23 hours later
Is hsil cancer and can it be successfully treated? Hsil..cin 2/3 on biopsy
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No,HSIL is not cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Dear!

The abnormal changes in the cervical cells is called Cervical dysplasia .
The changes are not cancer but they can lead to cancer of the cervix if not treated.

HSIL is for high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion and it includes CIN 2 and CIN 3.
CIN 2 means moderate to marked dysplasia
CIN 3 means severe dysplasia to carcinoma in situ.

HSIL is not cancer ,it means only that in your cervix you there are abnormal cells and the possibility that this cells with turn in invasive cancer in 10-15 years is high.For this reason is necessary to remove these cells from your cervix to prevent future cervical cancer.

So the treatment consist in removing this surface of cervix that contain cells with these abnormal changes.
There are many options for the treatment including :
-LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure), which uses electricity to remove abnormal tissue
-Surgery to remove the abnormal tissue (cone biopsy)
-Cryosurgery to freeze abnormal cells
-Laser therapy .

Right now you don't have to worry because we are not talking about cancer but for abnormal cells and their probability to turn into cancer.
In this stage it is totally curable.The treatment is totally successful and you will need close monitoring after that .

Hope it was of help.
Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati