question-icon

Would triple antibiotic ointment help treat strep or staph infection?

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015
Question: I was on here once before and they said my sores on my buttocks could be strep or stalph infection. Is triple antibiotic ointment enough to help it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Oral antibiotics and topical antibacterial ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and I have understood it.

Sores are most likely a bacterial skin infection.
If I was the treating doctor I would also suggest you to take an Oral antibiotic for a week.
My choice of an oral antibacterial would be either Amoxycillin 500 mg Or Cephalexin 500 mg, three times a day, for a week.
Oral antibiotics would help resolve the infection faster. Oral antibiotics are prescription drugs and therefore I suggest that you talk to your doctor for the needful.
Topically you may use an Over the counter, topical antibacterial e.g 2% Mupirocin ointment, twice daily for a week.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist