Would surgical removal of a goiter help reduce symptoms of hyperthyroidism?
Surgery is not the recommended treatment now a days.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Hyperthyroidism needs to be corrected and converted to either euthyroid or hypothyroid as the case may be. For this we have three options
1. surgery is one of them
2. radio iodine ablation
3. medical management.
Surgery is only indicated if the goiter is very large, causing compression symptoms.
Symptoms of body pain will persist with hypothyroid status as well. It will only be normalized with normal thyroid levels. Hypothyroidism is definitely easier to handle both for the doctor and the patient as well as less deleterious to health of the patient.
XXXXXXX is safe.
You must attain normal thyroid balance either through anti thyrox or XXXXXXX as of symptoms, you may take Vit D, Vit B12, Calcium.
Kindly let me know:
1. How long you have been hyperthyroid?
2. What are present medicines?
3. What is present TSH and FT4?
Seems a normal report.
The report seems normal.
Can we try bringing Neo-Mercazole to 2.5 mg for next 3 months and recheck the values?
If they continue to be good we can stop the drug, if they worsen, we can plan either XXXXXXX or again hit with full dose.
is it ok to increase the dose straight to 2.5 from 0.5 mg - which B12 tablets should i take
Dose is not increasing, it is decreasing.
Dose is being decreased from 5 mg to 2.5 mg. There is no dose of Neo-Mercazole as .5 mg.
We will have to try as I told you, if TSH drops we will plan ablation, you can't continue Neo-Mercazole for life.
B12 - Becotrol by Pfizer, Matilda from Lupin or any other.
Dr. Minal Mohit, Endocrinologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Goiter symptoms in women nodules
- Headache caused by goiter hyperthyroid
- Hypothyroid diagnosed with hyperthyroid symptoms multinodular goiter and swollen lymph glands
- Symptoms of Goiter
- Toxic goiter signs and symptoms
- Signs and symptoms of goiter
- Is colloid goiter a symptom of thyroid
- Multinodular goiter hyperthyroidism
- Multinodular goiter hyperthyroidism diet
- Symptoms of hyperthyroidism