Would suppositories help treat yeast infection?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 28 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I've had vaginal yeast infection beforehand use suppositories with success. But this time the infection seems to come from the uretha and not the vaginal. Will suppositories still help clear up this yeast infection or should I be taking a prescribed oral medication.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better using oral treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health concern.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

The suppositions would help clean the infection just locally, but not in the area where the medicine cannot reach. So it may help you just for few days but most probably the yeast infection would appear again since it will not be completely cleared.
So I would suggest to better use oral medicine. In general just a single dose of Fluconazole 150 mg is enough. I don't know if you can take that over the counter in your country but you can try asking about it in the local pharmacy.

Drink plenty of water it is very important.
If worse or not better consider seeing a local doctor and especially doing a urinalysis.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need any more information.

Kind regards,
Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T