Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Would ibuprofen help treating large painless lump on the mastoid bone?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
Hello. Yesterday I noticed a fairly large lump on the mastoid bone behind my right ear. It is hard, but not painful. Would an anti-inflammatory drug, like ibuprofen, help?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Recommendations Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. This is most likely a reactive lymph node. this can sometimes happen in a setting of infection or reaction to something in the environment including viruses. usually this type of thing will still be resolved in a couple of weeks. You might consider ibuprofen as prescribed by your doctor or as recommended by your local pharmacist. This might help to limit the duration or discomfort associated with swelling. If the symptoms persist for more than two weeks you absolutely need to see your local doctor for a good physical examination, evaluation, and discussion regarding other possible causes. Thank you very much again for sending your question. Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor