Would dairy or gluten products taken on a rare occasion worsen symptoms of celiac disease?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Sep 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi there,
My gastroenterologist is tough to get an appointment with to ask so I'd like to ask here.
I have EoE. I take an inhaler as well as 20mg Rabeprazole twice a day.
I was told by my gastroenterologist to "avoid" dariy, gluten, nuts, eggs, fish. My question is, is avoiding these foods absolute, like celiac disease patient, or if I have a piece of bread or milk content once a month will that mess anything up? Basically I'm asking if I have a dairy product or gluten product on a rare occasion - how bad would that be? I'm doing my best at avoiding all those foods but on the road its tough sometimes so I want to know if occasion is ok...or if I can't have any of it ever again.
I will also note that I choke much less on the meds. I had dairy and gluten on one day, two weeks ago, and felt nothing wrong after the fact.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try things gradually.

Detailed Answer:

If we go by books strict diet control is required but in practical scenario it depends totally on how your body responds to it.
So yes you can give try to various types of food initially start with a very small amount and if things remain OK then try to increase amount gradually and see if your body is OK or not.
Definitely you can try various foods but you have to be patient and things should be done gradually.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 20 minutes later
Thank you!

So stick to the strict diet - but trying gluten, dairy, etc sometimes is ok?

There is not a lot about EoE online, so I want to make sure that eating it on occasions won't make it worse.

If I eat a bad food, does my body react right away? Or can the reaction be days later? For example, I had gluten and dairy, but didn't have a bad reaction. But I suspect it's still the cause. When I ate gluten and dairy every single day I choked a lot and when I stopped, I stopped choking.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:

EoE is a type of allergic reaction called type 1 hypersensitivity reaction by clinicians in which when a person takes a particular thing body takes it as a allergen and produce IgE which causes choking. So as I advised earlier the amount of allergen required to cause this hypersensitivity reaction depends and varies from person to person.

So as I advised earlier try things gradually and see how much is tolerated well by you.

Hope I was helpful.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist