Would beer consumption the day before affect RPR and VDRL test results?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 13 Aug 2019 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi,

I had an unprotected sex on march 2 and the rpr and vdrl test results on april 14 are non reactive but i had beer the day before the test.Are my test results affected because of this or do you want me to go for any further tests please help.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Syphilis had been ruled out. No need to repeat the test.

Detailed Answer:

RPR and VDRL are tests for Syphilis. Consummation of beer will not affect the outcome of VDRL or RPR result. As you had done these tests 6 weeks after the exposure, it could be taken as confirmatory no further test is necessary or no necessary to repeat the test for syphilis.
Had you ruled out other STDs ? HIV is also to be ruled out after the window period as you had unprotected intercourse.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 5 hours later
Can you please elaborate in detail.I am asking about validity of the tests for ruling out Stds only like in HIV.And still confused about the validity of tests and also is it dependent on labs also?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are free from Syphilis

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
STDs are more than 30 in number. We are having tests for only for few diseases and not all. Syphilis, HIV, Hepatitis B, C and Herpes simplex infections can be tested. Certain other STDs like Gonorrhea, Chlamydia also can be tested.
You had been tested only for Syphilis.
You are free from Syphilis.
Dr S Murugan.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Can i rule out HIV rgt now ? And one more question is a pimple on penis shaft common or does it occur only during STDs?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pimple like lesion can occur in STD and non STD conditions.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Conclusive results for HIV can be obtained 12 weeks after the exposure. Pimple like lesion can occur with a STD, Herpes Simplex type 2 infection and also can appear in the absence of STD in conditions like small boil. Consult a Dermatovenereological and get well.
Dr S Murugan