Would a person with 70% blocked carotid artery and numbness in the right hand cause stroke?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: My carotid artery is 70% blocked and my right hand is numb. Am I ha ving a stroke?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is not a stroke!

Detailed Answer:

A strong is a sudden loss in neurological function resulting from a problem in the brain. While you have a 70% occluded carotid artery, which makes your risk for stroke significant, there is no reason to think this is a stroke. This will also be more unlikely is this has XXXXXXX happening over a long time and there is no loss of muscle power in this right hand.

Finally, have you had the chance to do an MRI/CT scan of the brain and if so, what were the findings.

In all, unlikely to be a stroke. More suggestive of nerve damage. I recommend physical therapy and do communicate the findings of your brain imaging studies to me.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Chobufo Ditah,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D