Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Would a female be able to have babies after having chlamydia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
Hello Dr XXXXXXX I just have a few questions for you today?

I was just wondering, would a female be able to have babies after having chlamydia?

and what are the steps that i could take to conceiving for a baby??
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Chlamydia can cause scarring of uterus and Fallopian tubes which can result in infertility.
You can't be sure of your success of pregnancy just because you no longer have chlamydia.It depends upon how long your disease went untreated and how badly you are scarred.Some have no problem while others have lots of problem.
% wise you have 30% chance of getting pregnant each month if you are normal.
With scarring this gets reduced to 5%.
In terms of timing a normal couple should be pregnant in 3to 4 months.With scarring it may take 10 to 12 months,if your tubes are not completely blocked.
If you try for 12 months and are unsuccessful,you may resort to some testing like laproscopy and clearing of adhesions.
As a last resort one can get IVF done as there is problem in fertilization and not in women getting pregnant.
Untreated chlamydia can cause scarring which can impair fertility BUT A HISTORY OF CHLAMYDIA DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN'T GET PREGNANT. 

You must make sure that you and your partner are chlamydia free.
Be patient and keep on trying naturally.
Patience does bring the desired result in many cases.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor