Would Omnacortil cause side effects after long term use?
Am XXXX XXXXXXX Age: 28 Years, am having some allergic problems for past 7 to 8 years. allergy happening because of outside foods like fastfood, sea food and brinjal, have seen so many doctors and my problem is not yet cured. while consulting they are prescribing some steroid tablets to me and while taking those tablets, allergies are not coming, but once i stop taking those tablets the problem coming again.
Now the problem is am not eating those allergic foods but not able to stop these steroid tablets, am now addict to those tablets.
Last month i have consulted a doctor at Apollo and she said to stop taking the steroids and given T. Allegra 180 MG and T. Xyzal but the allergy is not controlled yet.
request you to advise how to proceed Now am taking the Tablet T.OMNACORTIL 5 MG daily at night. if am not taking this tablet then the allergy is again coming.
Various suggestions for food allergy and to withdraw steroids.
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.
I can understand your concern for the food allergy after taking certain specific food.
After analyzing the complete query let me reassure you that this is quite common problem which we see quite often. Your treating doctor is very much correct in her diagnosis and has given a good treatment.
Steroids are actually double edged sword which can act both in beneficial and in harmful way. One should not take it for a longer period of time or not at all as self medicated therpy.
On long term use these can produce dependence and then there are serious side effects on use of long term. So I suggest you to not to take these tablets as self medications. Your doctor has provided a to the point basic treatment with antihistamines which are the mainstay of this kind of problem. Many a times the dose needs to be adjusted or increased as per the severity of symptoms.
In my patients with your kind of problem I suggest them t take Loratadine tablet for 3 times a day and Levocetrizne with Monteleucast at night time. This is one of the safest treatments and could be followed for a long term without any side effects with tapering of dosage. This maintains a good relief and if at all the problem is not controlled then I give steroids in lowest possible dose on alternate day or weekly interval period as pulse therapy for the shortest period.
I suggest you to follow your treating doctor and discuss the treatment to withdraw the steroids.
"Wish you good health"
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Re: Further suggestions and guidance.
Welcome back and thanks for your further follow up.
In my patients with your kind of problem I prefer tab loratadine as mentioned before. It is a small tablet of 10 mg only so could be taken for up to three to four times. Levocetrizine with monteleukast has additional benefit of reducing the allergic component in comparison to levocetrizine alone.
I do respect and honour the prescription given by your doctor and accrdingly you can worth try my suggestions after dicussing with your treating doctor.
My all best wishes for your earliest recovery from the problem.
Dr Sanjay Kanodia
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Side effects of long term acitrom use
- Side effects of long term use of zolfresh
- What is long term side effects using ciplactin
- Side effects of long term use of chymoral
- Benforce m side effects long term use
- Clome long term use side effects
- Side effects of using montec lc for long term
- Omnacortil 10 use and side effects
- Side effects after stop of omnacortil
- Long term side effects of omnacortil
- Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be?
- Have red raised skin with clear pus pores on arm. Using neosporin on it....
- Has dark patches on inside of upper lips. What could be the reason for...
- Have small pimples on foreskin. How to remove this?
- Have had a rash near anus it does not itch. Tried Hydrocortizone, no...
- Had a blood draw. Having a bruise or rash at that spot. Should I be...
- Have itchy pimple on penis. No relief after applying cream. Which...
- Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma?
- Has rash that looks like pimple. Treatment?
- Having scalp abscess. Scalp open up several layers with lesions and...