• question-icon

Would Nicotine withdrawal symptoms be reduced by using a nicotine replacement product?

Posted on Thu, 24 Sep 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: i have recently(21 days) stopped smoking after 56 years of up to 2 packs/day. I am concerned with resulting confusion loss of concentration and irritation. Would these symptoms be altered or reduced by using a nicotine replacement product ?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes, it helps sometimes

Detailed Answer:

Its very good that you decided to take a healthy decision in your life. This is definitely beneficial from the day one.

But yes, you might have some issues..like ranging from mood swings, irritability, sleeping problems, reduced concentration, etc. It may even range to some mild to moderate depression or anxiety for first few weeks.

I have frequently seen such presentation in people who quit smoking ( those who were earlier heavy users). They show some response with nicotine replacement or I also use an anti anxiety medicines for better relief.

If the symptoms are significantly interfering in the daily duties of patients then I would advice replacement first or along with an anti anxiety medicine.
please discuss these points with your treating team.

I hope the reply helps you.
Wish you a speedy recovery!

Feel free to ask more questions for clarification.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist