Would A-positive and O-negative blood group combination impose negative effects during pregnancy?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello, my friend XXXXXXX is veering married however his blood grp is A+ve n that of his partner is O-ve. Would this have any impact in post marriage life?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may have impact if not handle properly

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There is Rh positive negative incompatibility in husband and wife. In this scenario, if baby is Rh positive, then it can sensitize the mother to produce antibodies against positive blood group. This may not be significant in first pregnancy but if second pregnancy fetus is also positive group then it may cause much problems like destruction of blood cells and anemia with jaundice of fetus.

Hence during and after pregnancy precaution required on the part of obstetrician in the form of antibody injection to prevent this sensitization. If handled carefully then result is good.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy