Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Working in company involved in mixing Magnesium Chloride. Having breathing difficulty, watery eyes and running nose. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 1126 Questions
My 52 year old son worked as a mechanic at a gravel pit/construction site which in the late 1800's/ early 1900's was a smelter site and is now a Superfund site. About 3 years ago the company won a contract to mix Magnesium Chloride with sand for county deicing uses. As soon as he started working on the equipment used in the mixing he started having difficulty breathing, eyes watering & nose running and feeling generally tired all the time. It got worse over the next two years. A year ago it got so bad he could not continue working there. His health has worsened over the last year. He is plagued with nausea and vomiting several times a day, extremely red eyes, headaches, loss of appetite, weight loss, fever, night-sweats, tingling finger tips sometimes white, loss of sleep, tiredness. He was diagnosed about four months ago with COPD and Pancreaitis but given no medications. He has received numerous blood tests, chest xray, CAT scan of stomach and abdomen. So far the best guess is something called Valey disease or California disease. He did drink but has quit, continues to smoke.
Any ideas?
Concerned Father Three different blood tests came back normal, I don't know what they were.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 13 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query in detail. In view of the history of smoking he could be suffering from COPD which has got aggravated by his working in dusty atmosphere. You have not mentioned if the tests that he has undergone were all normal or otherwise.

In view of history of alcohol intake(quantity and duration not mentioned) pancreatitis also needs to be ruled out. Consult a gastroenterologist.

Valley fever is a type of fungal infection caused by spores of fungus coccidioides and is common in people working with soil. It is generally of mild nature and does not require any treatment. It can be diagnosed by sputum test, blood test and x XXXXXXX or ct scan which will show some changes in the lungs.Though unlikely in your son`s case but in view of COPD, you may get him tested. You should consult a pulmonologist who will put him through relevant tests and subsequently guide you correctly.

In the meanwhile, it is advisable that your son quits smoking all together and takes treatment for COPD which the pulmonologist will advise you.

I do hope this answers you query and if you have any more questions, i will be glad to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor