Woke up with a black eye. Is this a sign of something serious?

Dr. Krishna Kumar

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My husband woke up with a black eye. Purple above the left eyelid. No pain no uncomfortable feel of a bruise... Do I need to get him to the hospital? Or have a doctor check him? Is this a sign of something that could be more serious?
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 13 minutes later

Thank you for sharing your problem.

Waking up with a black eye could be due to issues such as insect bite or bleeding into the tissues due to side effect of some medicines or even due to alterations in blood clotting mechanisms. Is he taking some?

Most of the causes are benign and they regress on their own. I suggest that you see a physician to rule out above causes and I do not think he requires a ER visit. If the lesion progresses it can turn serious.

Please revert to me if you have any more doubts.

thank you
regards