Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

With ADHD, hearing loss. MRI showed thining of corpus callosum, perventicular white matter, hypertensity. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
my daughter aged13 year ADHD child,BERA studies shows wave form obtained after 80dB on the left ear and 100db on right ear( MRI brain shows diffuse thinning of corpus callosum,pausity of periventricular white matter and periventricular hyperintensity) hearing loss from past 3 it reversible? what is the line of treatment ?If hearing aid means which type? since she is hyperactive won't tolerate any external device is there anything to fix internally?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 16 minutes later

Thanks for posting the query

Neural loss is an irreversible phenomenon, more so in the case of the cranial nerves. The BERA shows profound sensorineural hearing loss in both the ears.

First of all, I would like to know whether the child has developed normal speech and was hearing well before the hearing loss happened. If yes, then there are various surgical procedures to make the child hear. Cochlear and brain stem implants are a few surgical innovations in ENT to restore hearing.

Please revert back to me with the answers for the above questions.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: With ADHD, hearing loss. MRI showed thining of corpus callosum, perventicular white matter, hypertensity. Treatment? 17 minutes later
She had normal hearing and speech till February 2013.Is surgery is the only solution or hearing Aids can help? She is hyperactive she may not tolerate the external fixtures of cochlear there any alternative?What is brain stem implant?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

If your child had normal speech and hearing before, then hearing aids have to be given to the child. Do not worry, there are various hearing aids such as completely inside the canal, inside the canal, etc, which can be placed inside the canal without any wire dangling outside. This can be much safer than the one worn behind the ear. Check the link below:
Secondly, Middle Ear Implants can also be tried. These are surgically implanted devices which attach to the hearing bones and make them vibrate. They are suitable for people who can't use a hearing aid.

The protocol is to try with the hearing aids initially for six months and if the child is doing well with the hearing aids, it will have to be continued. If not, then cochlear implant will have to be done. As the child is hyperactive, she might not wear the transmitter and the receiver. But sadly, that is the best option left with us.

Auditory brain stem implant differs from that of cochlear implants, the brainstem implants stimulate the cochlear nuclei directly, bypassing the cochlear nerve. Brain steam implant is another innovative surgery where in electrodes or the stimulating leads need to be implanted within the lateral recess of the fourth ventricle. This is usually performed when the cochlear implant fails and in those individuals suffering from neurofibromatosis 2.

My suggestion to you is to consult a good ENT specialist experienced in cochlear implant surgery as they can do a thorough check up and closely follow the developments in the child. Discuss with him about all the available options and he would be right person to guide you further.

Hope I have answer your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor