Owl Image

Wisdom teeth taken out. Taking ibuprofen 600mg. Noticed blood in stool. Is this normal?

Urologist
Question
I recently had my wisdom teeth taken out (just over a week ago). I was taking 600 mg Ibuprofen up until the day before yesterday. 3 times that I have went number 2 there's been bright red blood. I'm scared that it might be something more serious. Should I wait to see if it stops or go to the hospital ? Or is it common?
Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Ibuprofen does not produce fresh blood in stool.
The bleeding caused by Ibuprofen if at all, is from the stomach. It manifests as black coloured stools, because by the time the blood reaches the rectum, the colour changes.
Fresh blood is something else and is usually related to pathology in the rectum like piles or anal fissure.
This type of bleeding is not an emergency, unless it is massive. It usually stops to recur again.
Kindly consult a surgeon to look out for a cause.
Wishing you good health,

DR GS