Will you have chronic interstitial cystitis with Topamax?

Question
Hi....I have chronic migraines and am taking Topamax on a daily basis which has definitely helped reduce the number of migraines I am getting. However I also have interstitial cystitis and the Topamax seems to exacerbate this condition. I was off the Topamax for a couple of years while trying to get pregnant and I felt as thought my IC symptoms were not as bad. Could my flare up be a result of the Topamax?...if so is there anything I can do to help alleviate the side affects?..I am just getting over a UTI and am going to be re-tested to make certain it is gone but I am still so uncomfortable. I am at a loss...do I get off the Topamax and suffer the excruciating migraines or stay on and deal with the IC pain

Thank you
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I will suggest you stop Topamax and try propranolol for migraine control!

Detailed Answer:

There are many other medications for migraine prevention beside topamax. I will suggest that you doctor considers switching this medication to another brand such as propranolol.

Effects of topamax on Ic are very rare because not many people take these medications while having IC. While your symptoms of IC may actually be exacerbated by this drug but lack of proper studies have not allowed for this. I will suggest your doctor takes the pains to report this to the manufacturers for further monitoring and investigations.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me and keep me updated about your ultimate actions.