Will varicocele resolve by itself after stopping weight lifting?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Men's Health
Question: I have a varicocele and got it treated with percutaneous embolization about 2 and a half years ago. I started lifting weights about a year ago and my varicocele showed back up 3 weeks ago. If I stop lifting for awhile will it go away again? The coils should still be in the vein, right?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Varicocele will not go away - ultrasound with color doppler examination.

Detailed Answer:
HI.
Noted your history of percutaneous embolization of varicocele two and half years ago, you started weight lifting about a year back and the varicocele showed back 3 weeks ago.

Varicocele will not go away on stopping weight lifting. This is so as the dilated veins do not shrink back.
Ultrasonography and color doppler examination alone can show whether and how much the coil be in the veins, the degree of varicocele and the mode of further treatment.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 20 hours later
Where would the coil go if the clot is now gone? Icing it reduces swelling almost completely, if I keep the swelling down will the valves be able to repair?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Valves do not get repaired once damaged.

Detailed Answer:
The coil would remain there only even though the clot is gone.
Icing has a peculiar effect on the blood vessels, particularly the vein, it causes them to shrink. Hence you will get the same effects and cause reduction in the size.
Even though you keep the swelling down the valves may not get repaired after damaging once.

If possible please post the photograph, the reports and so on for me to understand and to assist you more

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 10 hours later
So will the clot form again around the coils? If I recall correctly, it took about a week for the varicosele to shrink by itself, but they told me to not do any heavy lifting. It's not too swollen right now, so I don't think a picture would help. I'll post one when it swells up again.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get a fresh ultrasound and color doppler

Detailed Answer:
The clot is formed in the coil, if you mean by is coil of the vein. Clot is not formed outside.
Heavy lifting increases the intra-abdominal pressure thereby gives back pressure in the vein and causing them to dilate. But there are many other activities that increase the intra-abdominal pressure which you can not really stop.
Hence the best way is to get your color doppler examination to know what exactly is the condition so that further course of action can be decided.
Seen the photograph.

Please post the report of fresh ultrasonography and color doppler.