• question-icon

Will usage of Raid Max Ant and Roach Killer harm the fetus during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor,
We need an urgent advice. My Wife is 27 weeks pregnant and we used "RAID XXXXXXX Ant and Roach Killer" Spray to kill the cockroaches in the Kitchen and Bathroom. Now our concern is that will it harm my wife or baby in any way. Also, Can she enter the house after 4-5 hours after the spray. She is already out of the house from 2 hours.
The Spray says, it keeps killing roaches for up to 6 months, so can its fumes effect the pregnancy? I attached the picture of the spray we used.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ventilate the house well.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and welcome to HCM.
Thanks for writing in to us with your health concerns.

I have sen the pic u have sent..

There will be harm to the mother or the baby. Just take care to ventilate the house well so that no resident fumes are there.

Dr Manisha Jain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 11 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the advice. Just little confused with your statement "There will be harm to the mother or the baby". Do you mean to say that "There WILL NOT be harm to the mother or the baby but just ventilate the house well?

Thanks & Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
3-6 hours only

Detailed Answer:
Sorry if you were not clear on my statement
I wanted to say that fumes are harmful and not the residual effect which is there for 6 months as is said on the product
Just active fumes which stay from 3-6 hours maximum should be avoided and of course avoid the sprays in future till your baby is 3 years of age
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 11 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the advice. It helped a lot. I have one last question. We had done pest control last year as well for 2 days on September 27th and 28th. We sprayed complete 2 bottles of the same spray. As my wife was not pregnant at that time and due to less knowledge on the precautions, we used this spray in night and didn't evacuate the room and Kitchen. Next day we cleaned up the area where we cut vegetables. However, we have not washed the cabinets but just let it dry and kept the food items inside after a day. My wife became pregnant within 3 Months of this activity on Dec 26th. My concern is that could there have been any harm to thebaby at that time considering the residual effect remains for 6 Months and we kept the food items inside cabinet within a day without washing them. As of now, she is in her 28th week of pregnancy and her ultrasound looks normal except for little extra fluid in one of the kidney of baby for which doctor mentioned it will become normal in next few weeks.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not an issue

Detailed Answer:
I understand your anxiety completely dear.
Nothing to worry but in general as a rule after pest control full ventilation is the rule after 6 hours of spray and keep our children, pregnant women and allergic people out of the house during that tenure
Take care in future
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN