Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Will there be any problem in marital life by marrying a woman with short left leg?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
Hello Sir / Ma'am - I am 32 years, male, 5 feet 6 inches, medically fit. I am not sure if I can ask you these Questions but still giving a try. I am planning (but not confirmed) to get married to a female (Age 30) with her left leg short by 4 inches (by birth) from ground. I just wanted to confirm whether there would be any problem in our marital life with respect to 1) her physical posture (she wears high heel shoes/sandals to balance her body), 2) conceiving, 3) physical relation, 4) can she become pregnant, 5) will she be able to handle her pregnancy. 6) Would there be any problem carried forward to future kids? 7) And what other medical factors I need to consider before getting married? or is it too risky getting married? -- Thank you, XXXXXXX(India)
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.

It is good to hear that you are considering marriage with a differently enabled person.
A leg length discrepancy can be due to congenital growth deficiencies , infections that infiltrate the epiphysis , tumors, fractures that occur through the growth plate or have overriding ends, Legg-Calve-Perthes disease, slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE), and radiation.
Structural discrepancies result from an actual anatomic shortening of the bones of the lower extremity. This can occur from a growth plate injury during childhood or adolescence, fractures or genetic and acquired conditions that affect bone growth. Structural leg length differences can also result from spinal abnormalities such as scoliosis
1.     The lady in question is suffering from a disorder called leg length discrepancy. Here, a difference in leg length can be anywhere from one centimetre, which usually does not cause any problems, to more than six centimetres. The only physical problems which can arise due to such a condition include functional scoliosis, osteoarthritis and possibly lower back pain.
2.     As long as the reproductive tract and the hormones is normal, she would not have any problem in conceiving.
3.     There should be no problems in establishing a physical relationship
4.     She would be able to become pregnant, given that everything else is normal.
5.     She will be able to complete the full term of her pregnancy, although slightly closer monitoring may be required.
6.     This disorder cannot be transmitted genetically. So your children would have the same risk of having this disorder as the rest of the population
7.     Orthotic devices which can be slipped into the shoe are available which can be used to correct the discrepancy. As much as possible, the same elevation should be added in all shoes that are regularly worn, including house-slippers and flip-flops. She will probably need more than one type of heel lift or modification for different shoes. You would need to consult an orthopaedic surgeon and shoes can be customized according to her requirements.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor