Will there be any adverse effect if I take a higher dose of risperdal?

Dr. Preeti Parakh

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Mental Health
Question: I accidentally took 11 mg of risperdal for one week after being stabilized on 8 mg will I have adverse effects from going back to 8 mg what I should be taking
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 5 hours later
Brief Answer: No adverse effects expected. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Since you were stable on Risperdal 8 mg, I do not expect any adverse effects because of returning to 8 mg dose. Whatever adverse effects are expected are from taking the higher dose inadvertently. That is, you might be having some sedation and perhaps a sense of muscle stiffness, which I expect, would improve if you return to 8 mg. Though I do not expect any worsening of psychopathology on returning to 8 mg as you took the increased dose for only a week and you were already stable before that, I still feel that any decrease in dosage of psychotropic drugs should be gradual. Rapid reduction in dose of antipsychotic medicines may cause tardive dyskinesia, which is a rare side effect but still a possibility. So in my opinion, rather than returning to 8 mg abruptly, it would be better if you can be on 10 mg for a couple of days and then on 9 mg before finally coming down to 8 mg per day. This is not mandatory but just for the sake of prudence. Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T