Will the rod drilled inside the bone remain in the bone forever?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
In limb lengthening surgery. In height increase surgery. A rod is planted from the top of the femur bone and fixed with nails. After the completion of process, the nails are removed. I want to know whether the Rod drilled inside the bone will remain in the bone forever or it will be removed after
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it will be removed later

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have studied your case.
rod will be removed later once bone healing has occurred.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you have further questions please feel free to ask. I will be happy to answer your question. Take care.

Follow-up: Will the rod drilled inside the bone remain in the bone forever? 12 hours later
Dear Sir,
If the rod is removed after healing. What about the hole which is formed due to the removal of the rod as the rod is drilled in between the bone.

Is this a safe process to increase height

Can u suggest some other options to increase height

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Rod is placed in bone marrow cavity which is responsible for blood production in childhood.
Bone marrow is empty space so it is not affected due to nail or nail removal.

This a surgery and you need to be aware of all complication which can be there before opting for this procedure.
At your age there is no other option.

Follow-up: Will the rod drilled inside the bone remain in the bone forever? 4 days later
In how many months, A person will able to walk again properly

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hello

It depends on how much you want to increase length.

Example you want 2 inch height increase then it may take around 6 to 7 months.