Will taking Rogaine 5% and DHT blocker cause any effect on sex drive?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hey .. im starting to use saw palmeatto and Rogaine 5% and DHT blocker... is there any of these will effect my sex drive / size / any other effect as a male ?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 26 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

From the combination of products you are using, it seems like possibly you are having male patterned baldness (androgenetic alopecia).

This pattern of baldness is hereditary as well as due to increased conversion of testosterone to 5 DHT and due to increased sensitivity of the hair to the same.

Rogaine5 percent is minoxidil solution exerting its hair growth effect through dilation of blood vessels and maintaining hair in growth or anagen phase. As it directly acts on the hair, it has no hormonal side effects. The only side effect that is noticed is itching or redness over scalp and that too is not very common.

Saw palmetto is a herbal supplement believed to exert its effect through preventing conversion of testosterone in 5 DHT. Therefore, it is added in many hair supplements. However, there are only one or two scientific studies proving its role in hair fall. Nevertheless, it is a common additive in hair supplements and the dose is safe enough to cause any hormonal side effects.

As far as DHT blocker is concerned, I guess you are taking finesteride 1 mg or propecia. Only a dose of 1 mg is advocated for hair fall. Finesteride being a DHT blocker, there are issues of it causing reduced sexual libido etc but the effect is rarely seen even if finesteride is used for a year. This effect is more common with finesteride 5 mg and that is not used in hair fall. It is seen that the decreased libido commonly noticed in hair fall clients taking finesteride is mainly due to the psychological effects (as they know it reduces libido). Moreover, if there are any effects they are completely reversible once the drug is stopped.

So as far as using the above combination is concerned, be assured chances of having any side effects are very less. However, you need to continue the treatment for 5 to 6 months to see desirable response.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more queries, I would be happy to help you. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
For the dht blocker im using the Nuhair DHT BLOCKER.. is it a safe one and is thrte any weekly oil i can massage my scalp with 1-2 per week?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 38 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

Nuhair DHT blocker is again a herbal supplement containing saw palmetto, soy extracts and pumpkin seeds. There is no harm in using it. Be assured, it is not going to have any effect on your libido. However when you are already using a nutritional supplement Nuhair DHT blocker containing saw palmetto, there is no point taking another saw palmetto supplement.

As far as oiling if hair is concerned, oiling as such has no role in hair re growth. It just hydrates the hair and scalp. You can use any hair oil for the purpose. However, leave oil for more than 2 to 8 hours and oil too attracts dirt and if not washed frequently can lead to hair fall.

Hope I have answered your query. Take care.