Will stopping Ambien increase the chances of a seizure?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have taken 50 g of ambien over last 6 days.... am i in risk of a seizure if i stop for next five days. Each day

50 mg of ambien each day for the last six days.... im out now.... concerned about withdrawal
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Comsiderations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

As you are aware, you have been taking a very high dose of Ambien. The highest recommended dose would be 10 mg daily. Since you have been taking five times the recommended dose I would recommend that you contact your doctor immediately for further recommendations and evaluation.

it is possible that you may develop some type of withdrawl symptoms including risk of seizure.

Your doctor will need to work with you to develop a strategy to when you're down to the recommended daily dosage. This might include taking some other type of medication during the day as well.

Please contact your doctor soon as possible to discuss this. If your doctor is not available then I would recommend that you go to your local urgent care center for evaluation.

sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy