Will prednisone cause heavy bleeding during period?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi there im on prednisone 20mg and i have got my period but it is very heavy and blood clots
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: TRANEXAMIC ACID SHOULD BE TAKEN. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. When you are on steroids ( particularly for a long time and high dosage ), it is common to experience menorrhagia . Menorrhagia is defined as excessive menstrual flow, both the amount and duration of bleeding. If possible, then over a period of time, the steroid dose should be tapered off. Right now, you should use Tranexamic acid to treat the excessive bleeding. If pain is present also, then mefenamic acid too should be taken alongside. For a patient presenting this way to my clinic, I would prescribe a combination of the two. Cyklokapron ( 500 ) maximum three times a day can be taken for upto 5 days, alongwith Ponstan ( mefenamic acid ) too thrice a day if pain and cramping is present. Other conditions to be ruled out ( which can cause excessive menstrual flow ) - stress , anxiety, weight gain, hypothyroidism, uterine fibroids, polyps, cysts, endometrial hyperplasia etc. In your case, it is presumptively due to the steroids, however a gynecological exam ( per vaginum and per speculum ) , hormone levels ( TSH particularly ) and a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan should be done if this pattern is routine. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further if you have any doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
my dr put me on them for 5 days will my period stay heavy?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: WONT STAY HEAVY IF ONLY SHORT TERM STEROIDS GIVEN Detailed Answer: Hi If it is just for 5 days do not worry. Take the tranexamic acid for the length of your period. Your next period should be fine. You can take a hot water bottle to bed also.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
ok so it is normal to have heavy period on this drug? when i have finish taking the drug with my period died down? Cheers
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Yes, on steroids, it is common to have heavy periods. It should subside once the drug is over, if no other pathology ( listed above ) is present. Take care.