Will niccotine test show negative after quitting snuff?

Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi

Posted on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I was scheduled for GB surgery but had to postpone it due to a positive niccotine test. I used snuff and have subsequently quit (11/3). I was tested on 11/13, will my next test be negative given I quit and will ne retested in 30 days? Are the risks associated with niccotine the same for snuff users as it is with smokers? All the data I see on line relates more to smokers.
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Snuff V smokers risk Detailed Answer: Hello,XXXXX. Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. Snuff and tobacco both contains nicotine . Snuff only absorb in mucus membrane in nostrils but when forcibly inhaled then it causes congestion and some portion enter into lungs . Normally snuff don't enter into lungs so there is no chance ( risk ) of lung cancer ,bronchitis , bronchial asthma . While tobacco user are risk of lung cancer and other diseases such as smokers cough and asthma. In my opinion tobacco users are at more risk than snuff users. Hope this information will be helpful for you . Further any question I will reply in follow up. Good luck. Dr. HET
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 3 hours later
Thanks for the answer but I was talking about smokeless tobacco that you place in your lip. Skoal or Copenhagen not the dry type snuff you inhale nasaly. Could you address how long it should take for the nicotine and cotenine to clear my system from using that type of tobacco and what risks if any are different from smokers using tobacco. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Risk of smokeless tobacco. Detailed Answer: Hello Torb. smokeless tobacco increases the risk of oral cancer while other one increases the risk of lung cancer more commonly. with use of smokeless tobacco, nicotine etc will be tested as negative by 4 to 6 weeks.Good luck.Dr.HET
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj