Will light aerobic exercise be feasible for vertigo?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am about 85% recovered from vertigo symptoms, but its bee several days. Will light aerobic exercise be feasible or helpful? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
I have been on Meclizine, 25 mg every 6 hours for about a week. Should I continue?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Try your best to avoid aggravation of symptoms; continue meds for now

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I would not really suggest aerobics at this juncture as your vertigo symptoms could come right back, especially as aerobics has a lot to be with flexibility and head movements. If you can somehow avoid those exercises that have to be with change in balance, lowering and lifting of your head, swift movements, etc; and fair pretty well then I would say go ahead. But please understand that this depends upon the type of exercises you do and so my 'Go ahead' is a very hesitant one.

But because I understand the importance of exercise and physical activity in an individuals life, I would like you to at least give the exercises a try. As for the meclizine, do not discontinue it just as yet, as your vertigo symptoms are still present, which means they can return anytime. Especially as you are now trying to return to your routine, it is best we let the medications continue.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.