• question-icon

Will keppra help in curing seizures in my child?

Posted on Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: My son is two years old now. He was 7.52 pounds in weight at birth. I had a Cesarian delivery because he was transverse at birth. All his immunizations have been on time. He used to be on the 50th percentile for weight and height since birth until 15th month of age. Thereafter his weight ranged between 20th and 25th percentile whereas his height always was above 50th percentile. I introduced solids to him at the age of 6 months but he seemed not very excited about it. I had to struggle a lot with his eating till date. He became lean and thin over passage of time. Although he has been an active and very social baby. He loves to play and socialize with his fellow friends.Since past 6 months he seems to be irritated and cranky. He has been teething since 10th month of his age. He has been more like an underweight baby since 6th month of his age. My son suffered with his first seizure on 1st Dec 2013. That was a non-febrile seizure. Although before a week of his first seizure attack he was quite ill and had a high fever. Still at the time of the first seizure he did not have any fever. We rushed to the hospital and his blood tests suggested that he has anemia. He had his malaria test and chest x-ray were all ok. After 10 days he had another two seizures within 24 hours of time span. This stime he had his EEG test done on emergency which the doctor said was almost normal just that one of the neuron becomes hyperactive especially when my son sleeps and since he is a little 2 year old baby he is not mature enough to handle that hyperactivity. Probably he will outcome this when he grows up gradually. Till then he is on Keppra medicine (1/2 tablet at morning time and one 250 mg tablet at night) The latest attack of seizure was yesterday night. All the attacks were 5 minutes long. I am concerned about my son's health and want your advice on whether why my son is having seizures still when he is on Keppra.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I appreciate the detailed description provided by you regarding your son's recent epilepsy and the treatment received so far. In the initial period after starting treatment, a child may get seizures, as the level of drug in the blood may be low, and also a lower dose is started. If the child continues to get seizures, then, the dose of keppra may be increased, or an another drug may be added. In the meanwhile, please upload the reports of EEG and MRI brain. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 47 hours later
I am looking for some natural remedies which can handle epilepsy, can I give freshly squeezed grapes juice to him?I have heard that it has good effects on epilepsy. Kindly advice.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: I am not sure whether fresh grape juice could reduce the frequency of seizures in epilepsy. However, since it is safe, you could give it to the child. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist