Will iodine supplementation help the body excrete excess bromine?

Dr. Sassen S Kwasa

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Does iodine convert to bromine in the body? I have hear two theories. Iodine pushes bromine off the neuroreceptors or iodine mix with grains creates bromine which takes over t he neuroreceptors.
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Iodine and Bromide will combine to form Iodine-monoBromide

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM. The two elements will combine to form a darkish coca cola like compound. They mix in a 1:1 fashion. The iodine will thus form a different compound physically and thus it cannot sit on the receptor, (key and lock hypothesis in chemistry) thus rendering the actions of bromine innefective. This is the same mechanism that some pain receptors play. I hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 24 hours later
So if you I take iodine it makes the bromine ineffective? I have hashimoto and have had controdictive advice about its use.
Answered by Dr. Sassen S Kwasa 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will make it inactive theoretically.

Detailed Answer:
That is a true statement. How much inactive is anyone's guess, but yes, that is why with thyroid disease, prior exposure to iodine, bromide and other similar compounds on the periodic table is important to know. Table salt that has high iodine content is also investigated on