Will intercourse during a 7-day-gap while switching contraceptives lead to pregnancy?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
I have switched contraceptive pills from Diane to Belara. I took full old pack of Diane, made a 7-day break and then started Belara. However, only later I read in Belara information leaflet that I shouldn’t have made a 7-day break and should have started new pills immediately.
I had unprotected sex during the 7-day break and had extra protection when having sex when taking Belara for already seven days (I read that new pills might not have effect immediately).

Was I protected even though I made a 7-day break when switching to Belara? Was that incorrect? Should I continue using extra protection?

Thank you for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No contraceptive failure

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.
The new oral contraceptive pack needs to be started after 7 days of gap from the previous pack.
The gap interval is for withdrawal bleeding and the ovulation and chances of conception are almost nil.
So, you did nothing wrong and there are no chances of conception.
There is nothing to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 19 hours later
Thank you for your reply.

For the past few days I also feel some strange irritation in my stomach (it is puffy and feels full) and I feel a need to go to the bathroom much more often. What could it be? Could it be some side effects of new pills or an illness, or else?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Side effect of the drug

Detailed Answer:

Hi dear,
this puffy and full feeling in the abdomen is due to side effect of the contraceptive pill.
Increased frequency of the urination can be due to urinary tract infection.
A urine test should be done to confirm the diagnosis.
Further treatment should be done accordingly.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T