Will health problems at time of conception affect the child?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Hello , i have certain problems due to busy life. I feel i was in depression at the time of concieving a baby. Doctor asked for sperm count and all. It was normal. Now my wife is about to enter in 3rd month. My question how my health, my emotions and my other problems affects my future child?? What is the care needed ? My wife and me both are obese. I have thyroid imbalance. Please note i feel that it is my thyroid imbalance wgich causes lot of problems like headachr, mood swings, constipation. So i am taking medicine and daily do 1 hr exercise too. I am feeling better but i was not much healthy before two months? Is that any impact on future child due to my symptoms of thyroid imbalances on child. This i am asking because i was not feeling healthy at that time. I am taking measures to have healthy life and i have already lost 6 kgs in 3 mnths. So just have a confusion will my health at the time of conception affect my child?
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Health problems at time of conception will not affect your child

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

You mentioned you were in depression at the time of conceiving a baby. Depression or medicine for treatment of depression does not cause any effect on quality of sperms. As well your sperm report was normal. So baby there in your wife's womb is completely safe.

Your emotions, health and other problems do not affect your future baby directly. Baby's health is related directly to mother's health and nutrition. If your wife is healthy, eating well and taking all antenatal care well your baby will be absolutely fine.
Your emotions, health and other problems should not affect your wife's physical or mental health. She should be aware about this and you also try to do the same.
Your symptoms suggest you have hypothyroidism. And this is related to physical and mental problems. You should keep continue taking the tablets and exercise.It is good that you are better now.Your thyroid level do not affect your baby's growth. Your baby may have slight more chances of having thyroid problems in future due to genes.
It is good that you are loosing weight.

In conclusion your problems at time of conception will not affect your child.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist