question-icon

Will correcting chronic low sodium levels reduce and alleviate muscle fatigue and pain?

Posted on Thu, 24 Jun 2021
Question: I have chronic low sodium and experience muscle fatigue and pain. If they are able to correct my sodium level will the muscle pain go awway
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (45 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, they should

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma’am,
I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns...

Please note that such chronic hyponatremia (low sodium) can be a sign of an underlying illness of your kidneys, heart, liver or thyroid gland... That is why correcting sodium level must first involve correction of the underlying cause of this low sodium level...

So, I would recommend that you get a blood test for your kidney functions (urea and creatinine), liver functions (AST and ALT) and thyroid hormonal profile (T3, T4, and TSH) together with an ECG and an echocardiogram to assess your cardiac functions to determine the cause of chronic low sodium levels..

In the meanwhile, correction of the low sodium level by I.V. fluids and electrolytes will eliminate the muscle weakness and pain provided that sodium levels are maintained at normal levels...

I hope I answered your question..Feel free to ask further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman