Will ciplar help in curing anxiety?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: Can ciplar 20 mg la long lasting proponolol help with my crippling anxiety/stage fright. How much should I take before my very important speech. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Anti-anxiety + anti-depressant + Ciplar will help Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Ciplar is a beta-blocker, which reduces the heart rate more than normal, in situations of acute panic reactions/acute anxiety. Thus, ONLY the palpitations are reduced with Ciplar. Severe anxiety/stage fright are typical manifestations of acute panic attacks. Therefore, what you really need is a regular course of a combination of:- * Anti-depressant drugs belonging to SSRI class (such as, citalopram, escitalopram, duolexitin, serteraline in effective doses) * Anti-anxiety drugs (which are the drugs OF CHOICE in acute panic attacks), such as alprazolam or clonazepam, the dose of which is gradually increased till the desired effect is achieved. * Ciplar 20 LA to be taken TWICE daily. A combination of these THREE groups of drugs, is the IDEAL TREATMENT of your problem and SHOULD BE TAKEN DAILY FOR AT LEAST 6-12 MONTHS, before the desired effect is achieved. CIPLAR 20 LA alone, WILL HAVE NO or MINIMAL EFFECT. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agree with me and will prescribe the advised drugs in effective/appropriate doses. If you find my response helpful and informative, do not forget an “excellent” rating to my answer, to encourage all doctors- engaged in social service- to render sound advice to the FREE queries. Fond regards and have a nice day Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 9 hours later
Ok thanks, I was hoping to avoid taking medication on a regular basis or a combination of medicationa. I get performance snxiety only befor public speaking and kind of a "flight" response or kind pf clam up during the speech. From my last job the old practice, practice and more practice doesnt help with me. Looking for something to take the edge of the panic attacks. Is there anything available to assist like that? Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Psychotherapy and community forums will also help Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXX, Nice to hear back from you. What you actually require is a great boost to your self confidence and, removal of phobia of facing the crowds. Please remember that you are one amongst equals and NOT less. The best way of achieving these objectives is to consult a Psychologist, who- through several sessions- will be able to motivate you to the extent that you will never ever have anxiety just prior to public speaking. Further, there must be several community forums of similar phobias in your city. Active participation in one of these forums will extremely helpful. However, I will recommend that you take the advised medicines ONLY AS A STOPGAP ARRANGEMENT. They can be tapered off once your psychological phobias are removed through Psychotherapy as well as the boost you get as part of the community forums. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care