Will a low carbohydrate diet reduce the risk of diabetes?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Diet Plans
Question: if we follows a low carbonhydrate diet, Does it help to decrease the risk of diabetic?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes, if you are at risk for it

Detailed Answer:
Some people have a genetic risk for diabetes. If you are one of those people then staying on a low carb diet can decrease your risk of developing diabetes and it will also decrease your risk of obesity. Obesity and genetic predisposition are the two causes that put most people at risk for diabetes. You do not need to be on a dramatically low carb diet but restricting carbs is probably good for all of us. Carbohydrates should make up 40-60 % of your daily calorie intake. Eating whole fruits and whole grains are better carb sources than sugars and white breads and pastas. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and you will be healthy.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 15 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
What are disadvantages of this low carb If we follows it in a longtime?

Vu
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
none if done in moderation

Detailed Answer:
There are no disadvantages of a low carb diet if it is done in moderation. If it is extreme, then you can get problems with elevated cholesterol and too much weight loss. You needs carbs in your diet, but most of us just eat way more carbs than we need. if done in moderation there is no long term risk to a low carb diet.
K. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 days later
Dear Dr K. XXXXXXX
I use spenda sugar for cooking, drinhking coffe for everyday? How much is safe for one day? Is it ok if we use it in a longtime? Could you recommend another sugar which has a better quality?

Vu
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
some concerns

Detailed Answer:
There are some health concerns about long term use of all artificial sweeteners. It would be better to use something more natural like stevia if you require a sugar substitute long term.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson