Will a 4.8cm fibroid located in the posterior uterine wall affect pregnancy?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: Will a 4.8cm fibroid located in the posterior uterine wall affect my pregnancy? I am currently 4 weeks pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Yes it may affect your pregnancy.

Considering the size of your fibroid, it may have an impact on your pregnancy. Complications like miscarriage, preterm birth, bleeding, abdominal pain or excess bleeding during and after delivery may occur.

However it is NOT a rule that all pregnancies with fibroid will get complicated.
SO DO NOT panic. Be happy that you have conceived with this big fibroid.

Fibroids are not treated during pregnancy.

So all you can do is take precautions in order to ensure your pregnancy and delivery has a good outcome.

Avoid intercourse, heavy work and stress especially during the first 3 months.
Take regular check ups with your doctor.
You can consider taking a steroid (betnesol) injection after 30 weeks to ensure lung maturation of the baby as you may have a risk of premature delivery.
You should plan your delivery in a multispeciality hospital with good blood bank facilities to combat any complications that may happen.

Also if you have confirmed your pregnancy only with blood or urine test, then it is advisable to get an ultrasound done after 6 weeks to ensure that your pregnancy is within the uterus and viable.

I hope I have answered your query.

Kindly revert back if you have further doubts.

Wishing you all the best.