Will Temazepam help treat withdrawal symptoms of Alprazolam?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: hello.... im a 63 year old women takeing alprazolam for sleep [2mg].......my pac wont give me anymore for another week...I have been under a lot of stress lately , moveing, the air conditioner breaking. so took a little more than usual....in 2 days I will be out...I know how I get when I don't sleep my heart feels like it is coming out of my chest and I shake...I will have to call an ambulance I know...what should I do.......I have a few tamazopam 30mg..should I try those.......when I was younger I could go without sleep but now I seem to fall apart... XXXXXXX .......e-mail YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes in emergency situations Temazepam can be taken in dose equivalence

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

Alprazolam is a benzodiazepine drug and you are taking 2 mg of its dose and now your supply has been finished. Now you have fear of symptoms like feeling as if heart coming out of chest, shakiness etc. If we consider dose equivalence of Alprazolam with Temazepam then 0.5 mg of Alprazolam is equivalent to 10 mg of Temazepam. So 40 mg of Temazepam would be equal to 2 mg of Alprazolam. This dose would prevent any withdrawal effects till you get refill of your prescription. Please take the drugs as per your prescription only and report to your doctor if you develop any symptoms.

Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 21 hours later
thank you I will try it
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks, Wish you a good health

Detailed Answer:
Thanks and take care.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist