Will Sulphamethoxazole and Trimethoprim combination help better to treat prostatitis?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor, I am 30 years old and got detected with Prostatic inflammation and urologist doctor prescribed me with CIPRO for one month (250mg twice a day). When i started the medicine i started getting pains in tendons due to CIPRO. I requested my physician to change my medicine. He changed the Medicine to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (500mg twice daily). Please let me know if this(trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole ) good to cure Prostatic and will work same as cipro and how long should i take that.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Combination of Sulphamehthoxazole and Trimethoprim is routinely prescribed

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

A combination of Sulphamethoxazole and Trimethoprim is routinely prescribed in Prostatitis .However since treatment for Prostatitis requires antibiotics to be taken for longer duration I would suggest you to get semen examination and semen culture done so that you can take appropriate antibiotic as per culture report.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 15 minutes later
Thank you doctor for the reply. Could you please guidme me, Like CIPRO has sereous side effects - Tendon Ruptor etc. Will Sulphamethoxazole -Trimethoprim also have sereous side effects? . I have heard that even this medicine has been banned in many countries.

Doctor wrote--Trimethoprim-Sulphamethoxazole(160-800 mg) Tablet.

Could you please answers following questions:

1. What are the chances of me side effects of these antibiotics like tendon rupture or others from Trimethoprim-Sulphamethoxazole(160-800 mg) Tablet.

2. Should i take it for one month 500mg twice daily or can i take it for 10 Days.

3. When i asked Urologist about if there is any test for Prostatic, he told me all test are complicated, therefore we don't do test. He did digital examination by checking prostate by using fingers with gloves on.Should i ask him again to do semen test?.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Semen culture & Swab test of urethral discharge helps to confirm diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .Trimethoprim and sulphamethoxaazole does not have side effect like tendon rupture .

You should take it for 4-6 weeks

Swab test of a urethral discharge obtained after doing prostate massage and Semen culture does help to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitivity so that you can take appropriate antibiotic to eradicate infection .

Prostate infection takes long time to get cure hence one has to take antibiotic for longer duration hence it is always advisable to take appropriate antibiotics for long duration .

These tests are not complicated at all .They will help you to move in a right direction.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 10 hours later
Thank you doctor. You are awesome.

I want to share with you more details my history. It all started with Acid Reflux last year. I went to Gastro doctor he did endoscopy and said i had acid reflux and i was put on Omeprozole for 6 months. Few months later i got sever ear infection and i did not take any medicine but it got cured in month itself. Would you think mine not taking of ear infection medicine has made infection transferred to prostatic or Kidney?? . Also i have sever back pain since two months, but doctor said its all due to Prostatic.
They told me had it was Spinal infection or Kidney infection i would have got fever and chills but since i never got any fever and UTI test was also clear so i cannot have Kidney or Spinal infection. Are they Correct ??. I am worried if i have kidney or Spinal infection also hidden in body and it is not detected or coming in test. Please Advice. Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no possibility of either kidney or spine infection .

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

With given reports and symptoms it is unlikely that you have infection of either kidney or Spine .

Thanks and Regards.
dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor. Please excuse me to stretch this conversation so long.

I have been suffering from really bad back pain, whenever i sit i start getting pain in right lower middle radiating to the full spine. I still don't understand what is the cause is. Even urologist said Prostatic don't give such sharp pain.

He prescribed me CIPRO and said it will kill every bacteria as it covered wild range.

Could you please tell me Will Sulphamethoxazole -Trimethoprim also equally effective??. Or Should i again start taking CIPRO and ignore tendons pain.

I am located in United states and it very difficult to get Urologist Appointment soon. Thanks
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis of Prostatitis hs to be confirmed

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

I fail to understand the basis or rationale on which your Urologist has diagnosed you to have Prostatitis .

Before taking antibiotics for a long period one has to confirm the diagnosis of Prostatitis That is the reason I had suggested you to do swab test of a urethral discharge and Semen culture .These are the two test which help to establish the diagnosis of Prostatitis apart from clinical findings on digital rectal examination .

As regards back ache it could be either a muscular pain due to positional discomfort caused by sitting for a long time which is very common in persons working in soft ware industry . You need to consult qualified Orthopedic Surgeon and to get relevant tests like X-ray or MRI of spine done to find out any cause for back ache ,

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 18 hours later
Thanks Doctor for the reply.
As per your suggestion i have taken another appointment with UROLOGIST but i got it for DEC -15. I have also requested my GP to forward me to MRI Spine for root cause of back pain.

When he diagnosed me for Prostatic i had following sysmtons.

1. Frequent urniation in night
2. Microstopic blood in urine
3. Pain in back
4. Ultrasound/ urine test/Urine culture and blood test were normal for any rise in white cells or any bacteria

He prescribed me CIPRO for one month (250 mg twice a day.). I started the medicine but had to stop second day due to pains in tendons.

Could you please tell me what should be my next steps, as there is time in my next appointment( Dec 15).

Please tell me, Would Sulphamethoxazole -Trimethoprim also equally effective??. Or Should i again start taking CIPRO and ignore tendons pain.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
start taking combination of Trimethoprim and Sulphamethoxazole twice daily.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

In view of having pain in tendon I would suggest you to start taking Bactrim D.S along with Diclofenac twice daily .

Get semen culture done at earliest.It will help you to decide regarding taking proper antibiotic to eradicate infection .

Ensure to drink more water .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Thanks Doctor. I will do all test soon now.

Just one last query i was not comfortable asking this question with my UROLOGIST in face to face.
I was doing masturbation daily once a day while all this happening. It helps me in sleeping as otherwise i had to take pain killer to sleep with back pain.

Should i stop masturbation or is it ok to do that with pro static. Will it make it worse or make it good.?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Masturbating evryday helps to relieve prostatic congestion .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Masturbating every day is one of the therapy for prostatitis .

You can continue it .It helps to reduce prostatic congestion and discharge prostatic secretions and reduces pain due to prostatitis .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil..