Will Nortriptyline or Clonazepam help better to treat burning mouth syndrome?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Fri, 22 Sep 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have burning mouth syndrome. Internet suggests that I take either nortriptyline or clonazepam.Which one is better? And do I need MRI to exclude possibility of cancer pressing nerve?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nortriptiline better. Clinical examination needs to be done prior to MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Nortriptyline is a better choice in such a case. But I would not insist you to start taking it without consulting a doctor. Prior to an MRI you need a clinical evaluation in order to rule out any tumor development and lymph node enlargement. It is based on these findings it can be decided whether an MRI is needed. Visiting a doctor will therefore help.

Let me know if I could help further.