• question-icon

Will MS Contin or Hysingla help better to relieve nerve pain?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Good Morning Doctor,
My questions is such, does MS Contin contain the same pain analgesic as Hysingla? I have been told that MS Contin is a hydrocodone based medication as well as Hysingla. My research has producted contradicting information. I am finding MS Condin to be morphine, while Hysingla is hydrocodone. Is there a difference with regards to severe side effects? My daughter was on MS Contin and doing well - just some break through pain from nerve damage, but her pain doctor swore to us that Hysingla was in the same hydrocodone family and would work just as well with no side effects. It has worked for the spinal cord pain, but she is experiencing some severe side effects that are associated with hydrocodone. Yes, some are the same as morhpine - I need to mention here that she was NOT having side effects while on MS Contin, but, Hysingla, according to their own website, has a much high probability of interacting with bipolar, heart rhythm, digestive issues, difficulty urinating, if a patient has had numerous concussions - my daughter takes medications for these conditions, genetic disorders she was born with. I am hitting a XXXXXXX wall with her provider. I have done as much "homework" as I can online to try and find the correct information regarding the main active ingredient in MS Contin vs. Hysingla. Any clarification of this would be most appreciated. Thank you, XXXXXXX Block email: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Send details of side effects

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.

MS Contin contains morphine and Hysingla contains hydrocodone. Both are opioids but mg for mg Hysingla is a more powerful pain killer.
Studies have shown that the side effects are similar but mg for mg Hysingla has more side effects than MS Contin and I agree with your research findings in this matter. Send details of side effects that she is facing so that I am better able to help you.
One opioid may be more effective and better tolerated than the other in certain people. So if your daughter responds better to MS Contin, you could request her doctor to prescribe MS Contin in place of Hysingla.

Do get back to me if you have any further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Noble Zachariah