Will Baclofen inhibit my muscle gain due to its anti-spasticity properties?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I have a mild case of cerebral palsy. I am high functioning (college degree) I play sports and lift weights. The disorder has no real effect on my today to today life. The only outward sign of the cp is a limp on my left side. I have noticed when I become stressed i.e. Giving a speech my body gets very tight and the limp becomes much more pronounced. I saw I neurologist earlier in the week and he suggested I try bacolofen. In your opinion is baclofen safe? I am very wary of taking pills, also I lift weights on a daily basis will the baclofen inhibit my muscle gain due to its anti spasiscity properties? Thank you in advance for your time.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Baclofen is generally safe.

Detailed Answer:

Based on this, Baclofen is generally safe. Baclofen is commonly used for treating spasticity. I usually give a dose of 10-20 mg taken once at bedtime. It does cause mild drowsiness in some people. Baclofen would not interfere with your weight lifting and muscle building.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Consultant Neurologist