question-icon

Will Arimidex for five years sufficient to treat a breast tumor?

Posted on Tue, 15 Jun 2021
Question: If my breat tumor is both estrogen and progesteron-receptors positive what is the best medicine to treat after surgery? Will be arimidex for five years sufficient? Do I need a radiation after a total mastectomy? Removed lymph nodes were negative.. I am 78.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (14 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Aramidex(anastrazole) will be the best option.

Detailed Answer:
“ER-positive.” means the cancer cells grow in response to the hormone estrogen and “PR-positive” means they grow in response to another hormone, progesterone. Tumors that are ER/PR-positive are much more likely to respond to hormone therapy than tumors that are ER/PR-negative.
Tamoxifen is the most commonly used drug for ER/PR positive breast cancer. Newer drugs like letrazole or anestrazole is better than tamoxifen for post menopausal females. In your case, anastrazole ( aramidex is a brand name of anastrazole) is the best and practical option. Five years is sufficient following mastectomy.
As of now radiation is not required as axillary nodes are free of tumor.
Six monthly follow up would be recommended.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Shinas Hussain