Will Amoxacillin help manage thumb infection?

General Surgeon
Question
I have a felon on my left thumb that is infected.I will go to the er in the morning,in the mean time I have taken 2 amoxocillian 250 mg will this work until morning, its painful
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
that will cover the infection till morning

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Yes amoxacillin total 500mg works on thumb infection. It will act on the infection till you show in ER in morning. It will act for 12hours approximately.

I would suggest you to also take ibuprofen which will be available over the counter in medical shop in your place. Take one dose till you consult your doctor. It will reduce inflammation and prevent progression of infection till morning and also reduces pain. It is not so good pain killer but strong painkillers like aceclofenac are prescription drugs. So take ibuprofen till you consult your doctor and consult as soon as possible in morning.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil