Will Alendronate for osteoporosis affect kidney & pancreas?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Will alendronate effect kidney & pancreas or any other organs
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually it doesn't affect kidneys and pancreas.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Alendronate is used to treat and prevent Osteoporosis in postmenopausal women,Glucocorticoid-Induced Osteoporosis,Paget disease etc.

As all drugs , Alendronate may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur.
Aledronate doesn't affect kidney and pancreas.

Possible side effects of Alendronate include:
- Hypersensitivity reactions including urticaria and angioedema;
-Transient myalgia, malaise, asthenia, and fever;
-symptomatic hypocalcemia;
-peripheral edema

-It may affect gastrointestinal tract including :-Esophagitis, esophageal erosions, esophageal ulcers, esophageal stricture or perforation, and oropharyngeal ulceration; gastric or duodenal ulcers.
It may cause symptoms like abdominal pain ,dyspepsia , nausea ,constipation,diarrhea,etc.
For this reason it is recommended to take it with plain water only, not coffee, juice, or mineral water; sit or stand upright for at least 30 minutes after administration.

-It may affect musculoskeletal system and cause symptoms like bone, joint, and muscle pain.
-Alendronate can cause Vertigo and dizziness.
-It also can affect the skin causing rash, pruritus, alopecia, severe skin reactions, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis.
These side effects are very rare.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any additional question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati