question-icon

Why would a five year old experience soreness and redness at the nipples after using the pool?

Posted on Wed, 7 Apr 2021
Question: My five year old grandson is complaining of sore nipples after being in the pool. They are a little red. What can I do
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to allergic reaction (contact dermatitis)

Detailed Answer:

Possibly the nipples have been agitated (allergic reaction) due to some ingredient in the water. Apply some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion or some calamine lotion. In case he complains of itching, you may give him cetirizine syrup. In case it still does not help, you may try applying Candid (clotrimazole) power topically.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician