Why would a 72 year old undergo geriatric assessment?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: why would someone 72 need a geriatric assessment t
est 4 to 5 hour test?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid under and misdiagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but a complete assessment is usually initiated when the physician detects a potential problem such as confusion, falls, immobility, or incontinence. This is usually needed as older persons often do not present in a typical manner, and atypical responses to illness are common. A patient presenting with confusion may not have a neurologic problem, but rather an infection. Social and psychological factors may also mask classic disease presentations and misdiagnosis of illness is very common in old age..

The geriatric assessment is a multidimensional assessment designed to evaluate an older person's functional ability, physical health, cognition and mental health, and socioenvironmental circumstances. It includes an extensive review of prescription and over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and herbal products, as well as a review of immunization status. This assessment aids in the diagnosis of medical conditions; development of treatment and follow-up plans; coordination of management of care; and evaluation of long-term care needs and optimal placement.
Also this type of assessment is highly beneficial and often yields a more complete and relevant list of previously undiscovered medical problems, functional problems, and psychosocial issues.. I hope you find this helpful..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad