Why should green tea be stopped before a hair transplant surgery?

Excellent

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor,
I have been consuming green tea from past 3 weeks. I have stopped it now as I have hair transplant surgery on 24th (so I will be abstaining from green team from five days before the surgery, although I had been asked to do so for a week). I got my bleeding and clotting time tested last week while I was still consuming green tea. My bleeding time is abut 2.5 mins and clotting time is 5.5 mins. Is this normal? would it cause any trouble in the hair transplant?
Should I get my clotting time tested a day before the procedure (as I would have not consumed green tea for four days). Would 4 days without green tea make any difference in making the clotting time faster?
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your Bleeding and clotting time is at normal limit

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Your bleeding time (2-5 mins) and clotting time (2 to 7 mins) are in normal range. This will not cause any problem to you during your hair transplant procedure.

Green tea inhibited oxidation of the essential fatty acids like arachidonic acid and linoleic acid which improves the blood flow and make the blood thinner in consistency.Antioxidant effects of green tea decreases oxidation of lipids, which also contributes to development of blood clots.

Your doctor has advised you to stop green tea five days before the surgery because of the above mentioned effect of green tea. It may hampers blood clotting during hair transplant procedure, if you continues to consume it.

There is no need to test once again for bleeding and clotting time, as the values are in normal limits.

Thank you.