Why should Duphaston and Folic Acid be taken during pregnancy?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is positive in her pregnancy test today. Doctor asked to take HCG injection and asked to consume folic acid tablets, duphaston 10 tablets and gestofit sr 300 tablet. Please advice whether the duphaston 10 and gestofit tablets are necessary. She is 28 now and last month period was delayed for three weeks.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
History needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir, thanks for trusting HealthcareMagic.

I would like to know if she has had any abortions in past or if she got some treatment to get pregnant

If there were no abortions and it is a spontaneous pregnancy then there is no need of supplements in my opinion, especially if there has been no bleeding or pain episode in this pregnancy either.

Please get back with these details.

Dr Manisha

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 19 minutes later
Dear Doctor, She had no history of abortion. But her periods cycle were 35 days and last month the cycle was 49 days.Also she had taken the HCG injection today as per the doctors prescription.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only duphaston

Detailed Answer:
In my opinion there is no need of HCG or gestofit.
Duphaston alone will suffice and that too is needed only till ultrasound shows normal heart beat.
Rest everything is not needed.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 13 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks for your advice.

Please note that she had already taken the HCG injection. Is there any problem with that??

Also please advice is it mandatory to use the Duphaston during the period or taking folic acid is enough during this period.

Also inform what is the exact purpose of duphaston...

Thanking you..
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
No harm

Detailed Answer:
This all was over and above and nothing is harmful but just not needed as I hope the pregnancy will be fine only.
Duphaston has been added as she had delayed periods otherwise that too was not needed.
All the best and wish her a healthy pregnancy and baby.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana