Why my left breast is hurting?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I woke up this morning with pain in my left breast and it has been constant. Not me left for arm is shooting pain and my left thumb in throbing
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give additional information.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Please give additional information for me to assist you better:
Is there any swelling in left breast, tenderness (pain on pressure) or redness of skin?
Fever or chills?
Is the thumb swollen?
Whether the shooting pain in left arm or forearm or whole upper limb?

In the meantime take Ibuprofen if it suits you.
Tests of blood for CBC, sugar.
Clinical evaluation and examination for the breast, neck for any muscle spasm, spondilitis and of left upper limb.

Please give feedback.

Follow-up: Why my left breast is hurting? 24 minutes later
Dr T Chandrakant,

The pain in the breast I would describe as constant dull pain no swell or redness, but is tender to the touch, no fever but chills, I am not able to take Ibuprofen, I had gastric by pass surgery about 6 years ago and am not able to take that. But I have taken tylenol and have had not relief.

The shooting pain in the arm is mostly the fatty part of the arm right below the elbow it is not constant comes and goes.

The pain in the thumb is constant no swelling, I did not hit it on anything.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Since there is no lump or redness in the breast the possible cause of pain can be costochondritis or muscular strain behind the breast.
It is better to get a clinical examination and ultrasonography and/or Mammography of breast to rule out any lump or inflammatory disease in breast.
The pain in the fatty area of left arm below the elbow that is forearm can be due to nerve compression somewhere also causing pain in thumb.
Another possibility is of fat necrosis causing such pains in both sites.
Clinical examination and investigations can tell us the exact diagnosis and plan of management as required.
I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.