Why is the USG nuchal scan prescribed during 13 weeks of pregnancy?
My wife is approx 13 weeks pregnant. Doctor had suggested to undergo following tests and we have to get these tests done this weekend.
1. USG Nuchal scan
2. Dual marker
3. Vitamin D
My queries are following:
1. What is the significance of these tests? Her TVS USG is already done twice till now.
2. Are all these tests really required?
Hello sir thanks for trusting health care magic.
Yes dear all these tests are must and routinely prescribed to all pregnant patients.
Nuchal translucency and double marker tests are done to detect chromosomal abnormalities and are just very simple tests to diagnose such a fatal problem.
TSH is internationally recommended test and detects thyroid abnormalities which will help in maintaining the brain development of the baby.
Vitamin D is an optional test and can be left and just take vitamin D supplements for 8 weeks but in general should be done as 70-80% XXXXXXX females are vitamin D deficient.
So I would recommend you to get all these tests done as soon as possible.
All the best
Dr Manisha Jain
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to get pregnant in old age?
- Does taking I-pill affect future pregnancy?
- Suggest home remedies for anemia
- Do I need to use contraceptives after a tubectomy?
- What does these ultrasound of cervix indicate?
- What is a complex ovarian cyst?
- Suggest treatment for swelling in clitoris due to an UTI
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and severe depression
- Does non-penetrative sex lead to pregnancy?
- What do small cluster of yellow spots near the vagina indicate?